Nov 21, 2008

Art is tricky

Art is tricky. I have got reasons for it.

As long as I remember, I've always had a problem with my hair dresser. I would ask him (yeah, that's 'him') for a particular hair-do which has been imagined for long by me. I would try to verbalise my dream-haircut as much as I can. And I think even he understands it, at least it seems so. But the final outcome is entirely different from what I must have thought. And that completely pisses me off. 

Before I got enough knowledge about hair-styling and all, I used to blame it on my hair. But later I realised, anything and everything is possible with any and every kinda hair. Since then my expectations have been raised from my hair dresser, and every time I end up getting a cut different from my imagination.

There was a time when I stopped imagining anything, and permitted my hairdresser to do anything he liked given it must be smart and different and I should be able to carry it. And that has been the best hairdo I've ever had so far. Well, no, I don't think my imaginary-hairdos were that bad. It could be a mis-communication.



Let me come to my tailor now. Umm.. Actually she's a dress-designer :P Ok. I've somewhat similar problem with her. I'm not much into salwar-kameez or that sort of 'costumes'. But for any social function, I've got to face her. 

Now firstly, I don't have any knowledge regarding the current fashion, or options available, or what suits me and what not when it comes to traditional wear. Secondly, I would still have specific things on my mind and I want that sort of 'costumes' to be made for me. So  now I would explain her that I want blah blah colour, blah blah pattern, blah blah neck, blah blah work on it, blah blah is a complete taboo, and some more blah blah blah. Then I would go back home, feel happy about the future-'costume', and imagine myself wearing it and.... 

But when the dress is materialised completely, it looks like a clown costume to me. I've cried and cried some more at my dress-designer's place, seeing the final outcome and feeling the cracks on my dream dress (ya cracks, I mean it). I've fought with my mother for taking me to a bad designer, I've blamed my sister for suggesting all nice things for her dresses and not helping me for mine. But then I have to accept it. I'm not good at it.



Same thing happened today. Mr. Simplified suggested to make changes regarding the background picture of my blog title. He said it was not stretched enough and didn't fit properly to the title. Yes, he was right. But then I didn't know how to do it. 

So he offered his help to me and asked me to send him pics I would like to keep as the background of the title. I sent him a pic of sandal and told that I didn't have any other picture, to which he replied that he would find others on his own according to my taste. Sweet.



So what I expected, that he would send, was sort of -
















                        or like this


















and what he sent was like this -



So I furiously (its so obvious, just see the difference once again) asked him what he exactly was doing and where the sandal was. 
So he sent me one new pic which included the sandal.



I got irritated (again obvious) and told him to stop whatever he was doing. And he replied that I couldn't appreciate anything. 

Oh Boy, What do I tell you?? 

So that's the reason I say, art is tricky. 
Be it art of communication, art of explanation, or art of creating as per expectations.

That was for me. I'm sure that your art of communication is super-duper great. So be kind and just drop in the comment. Have fun.


6 comments:

Scarlet said...

You have the right idea...the first thing you expected is PERFECT. Dramatic, vibrant, alive, bold, sexy.

The flowery thing is too simple to be you.

Phoenix said...

scarlet : It's not that i dont appreciate flowery thing or its too simple to be me, but i wasnt in a mood for it... anyway, situation is under control as of now :)
cheers

broca's area said...

beauty is in the beholders mind!!!....:)....

Phoenix said...

brocasarea : true :)

Gubbi said...

Well, I guess it's almost always like this when we hand over more control to others.... but one can't do everything by oneself.... It's very hard to get everything just perfect, unless you are doing it by yourself.

Else, it should at least be people who spend considerable time in understanding you.

This gives me a business idea. If I were to start a salon business, would you like to spend more time in conveying your personality and tastes? Would you be willing to pay more to get that "perfect" hair cut? More meaning substantially more.... Hmmm.... I guess all movie stars have their personal hair groomer.... Can this be made in a cost effective way so that it can be affordable to more people?
hmmm.

Phoenix said...

gubbi : I very much agree with your 'do it yourself' funda. It' truly true for me.
And my answer is yes, I would happily pay more for getting things as per my taste. Not just in case of saloon, be it any damn thing. cost effective ?? you're kidding me?? it's completely upto you. see the desperation level of a person, check out the market price of other saloons, see your expectations, n weigh if its worth it or not. I dont have to tell you that. You're already quite good at it :P