Nov 26, 2008

Diarrhoea, Antibiotics, Profession and Help

Oh, I'm suffering from diarrhoea. It has changed its consistency and become loose, watery. No, it's not 3 times or more per day, as per the definition, but come on, it's mine. I can call it whatever I want to. And the act was pitiful.  My bowel was screaming with gaseous distension and I actually was pulling my hair (somewhat gently), wanting badly for it to get over. What, you're feeling disgusted ? It's a natural phenomenon man. You're disgusting the nature. It'll curse you I bet. You too will get it someday and realise the pain.

I remember one more incident when I had increased frequency of you-know-what in past. One of my doctor friends suggested me to get an antibiotic course. Now most of the diarrhoea(s)  are self-limiting and require no treatment (except in kids), and also injudicious use of antibiotics leads to development of drug resistance, I refused to take any (I was idealistic then. Umm.. then?? :P). But today, even if cyanide was given telling it would cure the trouble, I would have happily consumed it. 

From this I realise that I'm gonna be a certified doctor in, let's say, 3 months. Oh, I forgot the internship. Okay, add up one more year. But I'm still not sure if this is what I really wanna do. I never thought that I would be a doctor. Even as a kid, I not even once said that I wanted to be a doctor. Even after getting into it, I've actually never enjoyed it. I don't think treating any patient would give me any more satisfaction than that I get after helping some real needy person. So even self-satisfaction seems a lame reason. Respect - Oh I don't want any one's respect just because I'm a doctor. And I actually doubt if people really respect doctors.  And it's been 4 and a half years. Isn't it more than enough to realise whether you like it or not?

It doesn't end here. There are more serious issues. As such, I actually don't have any particular interest. Given any damn subject, I know I can do it. I remember one aptitude test I took. I was called for the counselling with my parents after the test got over. It was a month before I got into medical. So the counsellor asked me what I wanted to do since it was the time for selecting a discipline for a college. And since I got a good score in my 12th grade, I was already pushed and told and appreciated by everyone about having potential of being a doctor. So I replied that I would choose a medical one. And he said that medical got 5th number on my should-be's career list and my traits were not suitable to become a doctor, so I shouldn't go for it.

How I took it as, you should not choose it because I can't do it. But today I realise that, it was not about whether I can or I can't. It's all about whether I want or I don't. So as I said before, I still don't have any particular interest in anything. I do like painting, craft, different new kind of art work available in market, I keep trying my hands on them. But for a profession, umm, nope. Had it been engineering or something, I would still have felt the same, NOTHING. And ya, I want good amount of money, peace, happiness, satisfaction, all these basic things in life. So help me get over my problem.

Ok, so all you have to do now is, answer the following questions.

1. Do you really enjoy what you're doing now?
2. Did you really opt for it or it somehow got opted and you're continuing it.
3. If you always knew what you wanted to do, how you knew it or what made you realise? 
4. What is the best option for me - to continue with this, or really re-consider changing a profession if at all I can find any?
5. What way I should start thinking? I'm not sure if everyone can understand this. (No, don't worry. I'm not leaving everything on you, I just need your honest and kind opinion.)

So all the kind and considerate ladies and gentlemen, I'm sure you can get 5 minutes out of your schedule to think over my problem and 5 more minutes to write the solution in the comment box. I'll surely be more than happy to see your opinions. 

Thank you,
Signing off.

P.S. yea there ain't any pictures, come on, this is a damn serious issue. I dun wanna make it entertaining.

9 comments:

broca's area said...

yeah...atleast happy....
i opted for it..
always wanted to become a doc...was my childhood dreams....
its ur call....better not ask anyone...but its better u continue!
sit and write u thoughts...makes ur mind clearer

Anonymous said...

Indeed a serious issue.Me and many of my friends going through the same phase.i guess its with everyone.Most of us are not doing what we love to.As a matter of fact i wanted to be a Wildlife photographer but i ended up doing coding.i could keep writing on this issue forever.

About the answers :
1.No.
2.The computers chose me
3.You know it when you are passionate about something
4.If you really have other career in mind and you think you can do it.then go for it.But if you are blank then its a suicide.
5.Whatever direction it may be.Don't waver.

Phoenix said...

brocasarea : lucky you.
i know its my call and i dun have to ask anyone, but at times other ppl's suggestions open up new doors n vision for you. so i m taking it positively. about sitting and writing, umm, lemme try it after finals.thanks for droppin by.

anonymity : yea thats a universal prb. for first 3 answers, i dont have to comment. 4th one- prb is that i dunno what i wana do. as such i can do anything everythin. you see i ve been clearing all these years of medical with real good score in university. but i dont actually enjoy it. and i dont have any other specific career in my mind - all i know is that i wana do somethin that i truly enjoy for the rest of my life. so i need help to figure that out. and about 5th ans - what do i say ??? keep replying if you get any solution :) take care.

Anonymous said...

1. Do you really enjoy what you're doing now?

1. very very much.


2. Did you really opt for it or it somehow got opted and you're continuing it.

2. yes. Kind of. I actually didn't even inform my parents when I opted. My father wanted me to take up medicine, while my mother preferred anything and everything that was related to astronomy. After some very confused times and back and forth between various decisions, I took up IT. But this was not what I had wanted to do all along since childhood. As a child I wanted to be in the Army. Then after a few years, I wanted to be a rebel, a social activist, do social service, etc., after some more years, I wanted to be a poet, a great writer, etc., Then again after some more years, I wanted to be a scientist, picturing myself as a Nobel laureate in physics. :D, Then again I wanted to tinker with machines, media, information technology, picturing myself to be working for satellite info systems, movie/news back office, etc., And so I took up IT. I'm sure I'll move on to other things yet again with time. But as long as I'm here, I'm throughly enjoying it.


3. If you always knew what you wanted to do, how you knew it or what made you realize?

3. To be honest, I think there were many things that were enticing me at any given moment. But I guess, based on the environment around me and the situation and the things that used to attract me, I at least knew I wouldn't regret taking this path and I had some visions in my mind about what all I envisioned myself doing and creating. I had also convinced myself by thinking that I could jump boats anytime if needed, by engaging in some cross discipline work. :P


4. What is the best option for me - to continue with this, or really re-consider changing a profession if at all I can find any?

4. No idea. Totally depends on you. I know thats not helpful :P Sorry.


5. What way I should start thinking?

5. Reading your post, I somehow suspect, if you'll ever be happy doing any one thing or committing yourself to something. So, I think the question and the answer are both the same things here. The problem as well as it's solution are both mixed in each other. You either keep doing many things in a hoch poch manner, shifting from one thing to another, doing whatever appeals to you, doing many/any things. Or you cultivate/imbibe traits within yourself that can allow you to commit to something for a period of time AND allow you to enjoy doing it as well. None is superior or inferior. You just have to understand what each of these two choices would demand from you and where they would lead you to w.r.t your goals.

After all, everyone wants money, peace, happiness and satisfaction. :) That doesn't require much thinking. It's straight forward and obvious. The point where it gets interesting is that these are to be created and not readily available for free. So you gotta think about this part, not the earlier part which is a given.


:) Guess I said many confusing things. I speak Chinese sometimes. :P


All the best. Hope you find your path. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hey, and btw, good luck with your diarrhea. Hope you get well soon.

Gubbi said...

And yeah, I wished there were some pictures. :)

Scarlet said...

Diarrhea pics wouldn't be good as a video clip. ;) Maybe next time.

I became a paralegal because I wanted justice and I couldn't find it in my personal life. I figured I'd get satisfaction from my work and for the most part, I have. It's the attorneys I have a problem with.

In your case, I think you could find something in the art world. You're creative and open minded, and maybe a whole new career path is the answer. Maybe.

Phoenix said...

gubbi :
1. you're very lucky.
2. again it's great that you knew what you were doing before you selected it.
3. jumping in boats ? how ?
4. i knw. it's ok.
5. i am willing to do just one thing given it makes me smile. but at the same time, my interests in other things will always be there. and i m sure even you must be doin hoch potch things many of times. but yea i shd stabilize the central part, periphery can keep moving.

Thanks for taking pain. Your chinese makes sense.

it wasnt actually a diarrhoea. just a one bout :P

as scarlet puts it, diarrhoea picture wouldnt look good :P

anyway, take care.


Scarlet : :) you got some good sense of humour :P I'm happy you figured out your satisfaction. lets hope i can do the same.
Regarding art work, i do good, but i m not the best. so it wont sell. Anyway, thanks for droppin by.

Anonymous said...

3. jumping in boats ? how ?
Well this part is actually a bit foolish or must I say naive. I had heard terms like Artificial Intelligence and Neural Networks and there was this great Human Genome project which was underway then.... I saw these as a bridge between computer science and biosciences. Then there were some computer scientists who had actually graduated graduated as electrical engineers or math majors. So, I always had this impression that there is lot of things happening in these cross-discipline subjects and these can allow me to jump boats from one discipline to another. I still believe this and may well jump boats someday :)

I actually don't think doing many things in a hoch poch manner is bad. It's just individual style and preference. Doing one or two other things as hobby doesn't count, they are just on and off things you do to get some change and explore some of your other "minor" interests. Hobbies are by definition "minor other interests". You take up as profession something that you give higher priority over these hobbies. So, I was only talking about professions not hobbies. One can keep dabbling between many of them or just stick to one. I know a guy who lives from day to day. He does some work that pays him for that day and thats it other than some little savings and investments. He isn't after a "job" as such and he does many things for a living ranging from hardware repairs at local businesses to programming 3D modeling in C to real estate business.

You don't have to do things in a conventional manner. You can pave your own style of working and earning your bread, while also enjoying and growing while doing so. I hate it when people complain how pathetic their work is and they are in it because the pay is good and they can blow it off at a pub on Saturday night.